Has pursuing your passion become a distant memory? Your purpose matters! Pursuing your purpose matters, especially to God! Life is busy, kids need us, committements pile up, but that doesn’t mean you should shove your passion aside. Here are 6 simple steps you can take to work towards the goals God has planted in your heart! Look for a video this weekend on this resource.
Galatians 3:3 “Are you so foolish ? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human efforts?”
Anyone who has a goal they’re trying to achieve understands that it takes self discipline, a plan, and a willingness to see it through. You may have the perfect recipe ready to reach your goal. You have all the right ingredients, the step by step instructions and it appears as though you are on the right track then all of a sudden everything stalls. You can’t understand why? You’re doing everything right so what happened, why are you at a standstill or worse everything seems to be falling apart? Often times we miss the most important ingredient and that is we don’t include God in our goals. Instead we rely on our own human efforts. Before we purse any goal we first need to take it to God, if we don’t we’re just spinning our wheels. When we take it to God he gives us the necessary guidance, tools, and people we need to achieve our goals. I think one of the primary reasons people give up on their goals or get frustrated is because they didn’t turn to God first and then keep turning to him! They decide to rely completely on self and when they do that it slowly begins to fall apart. It is foolish to do it on your own when you have a loving God who wants you to succeed and will help you every step of the way. Our human efforts have limits, but the possibilities with God are limitless! Aim for the sky but look up while doing it and nothing is impossible!
Charles Stanley gives us invaluable insight on reaching our goals in this two part sermon on, “How to Reach Your Goals.” What a perfect way to kick off the new year with this encouraging and motivating sermon based on David and Goliath and the steps David took to reach his goal. Below is the 10 Step Summary Charles Stanley gives us on reaching our goals. Write them down and commit them to memory because they are that helpful!
After you digest these 10 Steps, I suggest you visit https://getlifeyoudesire.com/best-goal-planners-to-reach-your-goals/ at Get Your Life Desire where you will find detailed information and recommendations on planners, so that you can choose the best planner for your lifestyle and personality along with tips on making your life more organized.
10 Steps to Reaching Goals:
1) Have a Clear Picture– Every goal requires a vision. If you’re vision isn’t clear you can’t accomplish the goal. Take time in prayer and ask God to give you a clear vision of the goal and how it can be accomplished. Keep this vision in front of you, so that it is fresh in your mind and is a reminder of the big picture.
2) A Consuming Desire to Accomplish Your Goal- Do you have a sense of urgency or passion to reach your goal? If there is no passion there is no action. What makes you excited? Do you think about what step you can do each day to meet your goal? Do you have a desire to see your goal through to the end? Passion is a motivator and a necessity!
3) Confidence– You have to have confidence that you can reach the goal you set out to accomplish. This confidence isn’t from our own boasting but, comes from God whom all blessings flow. David’s confidence was rooted in his relationship with God and his past experiences, he had a testimony. Think about the times God has worked in your life and use that testimony to move forward in courage. If you do not have confidence that you can do it someone else will quickly steal your goal. We are equipped to do everything God calls us to do because it is his plan.
4) Have a Course of Action- We can daydream all day about our goals, but without action it is just that… a dream. Develop clear planned out steps of action to accomplish your goal. If there isn’t a course of action your goals will be put on hold.
5) Develop a Calendar of Events- Set a time limit. ‘One of these days, I’ll get to it,’ usually means you won’t ever get to it. Don’t be afraid to put dates on the calendar, if you miss the date that is okay, but it is a reminder of your goal and the steps you need to take. If you put a date down you are more likely to move. Put a date down by the goal and steps.
6) Cooperation-Most goals require cooperation from others. Reach out to people around you who can help you accomplish your goals. For example, if you want to write, belong to a writer’s group. Not only will you be inspired and encouraged when you are around people have the same goals and motivation, but you will learn valuable lessons from their experience.
7) Consistency– Set your eye on the goal and have a determined fixed purpose, if not you’re likely to drift. If the goal is from God then your eye will be on him in conjunction with accomplishing your goal.
8) Controlling Our Emotions- Don’t let people with their pettiness tear you down. This is a distraction! You have no reason to be intimidated because you are a child of the living God! Stay focused on God and His unlimited power to work in your life. People will steal and diminish your dreams through their negativity if you allow it to happen.
9) Courage to Act- Fear paralyzes. Courage is the willingness to take a step. The road to accomplishing your goals starts with one small step. Once you get over the initial fear, the other steps become a little easier. Fuel up on courage by diving into the scriptures and turning to God in prayer for guidance. He is your strength when you are weak and afraid.
10) Our Conscious Dependence on God- Stop being self reliant be God reliant! One of the primary reasons we do not accomplish our goals is our independence on self. Too often we turn to ourselves for the answers, instead of looking to God who has the absolute best plan for our life.
This sermon can be found by visiting:
2) Go to search for archives and go to page 13 or go to the month and year
3) Click on How to Reach Your Goals Part 1 October August 31, 2013 and Part 2 September7, 2013
*Disclosure: I was financially compensated for a link in this post from Get Your Life Desire, but the opinions are my own.