Living in the DC Metro area affords a great opportunity to experience the holidays with your family without breaking the bank! As a single mom I’m always on the search for fun, free, activities to do with my daughter and I’m happy to say that there isn’t a shortage of events in the area to attend! Here are my top free events to take the kids to this season!
10 Fun Activities To Do In the DC Area That Are Free!
- The National Christmas Tree and the Pathway of Peace: The lighting is on the 1st of December and tickets are sold out, but visiting the tree is free throughout the season, and musical performances are held nightly. White House Ellipse, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
- Zoo Lights: Walk through the National Zoo and be dazzled by the 500,000 lights! Grab a hot chocolate when you’re walking through and enjoy live musical performances and tasty treats! It’s open from 5 -9 PM. 3001 Connecticut Ave., NW Washington, DC 20008.
- Smithsonian Holiday Festival, December 3-4th: Events are from 10 am-5 pm and include concerts, book signings, trunk shows, kid-centric activities and more. Participating museums include the National Museum of American History, National Air and Space Museum, National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of the American Indian and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.
- Season Greenings: The Botanical Gardens has an absolutely stunning Christmas display the kids will love. It’s open from 10 am-5 pm.
- 2016 Festival of Lights at the Washington, DC Mormon Temple: We did this for the first time last year and it is breathtaking.The lights, the manger, and the beautiful displays of the birth of Christ from various different countries is an experience you won’t want to miss. Dusk to 10 p.m. nightly. Nativity scene is open each evening from 6 to 9 p.m. Live musical performances begin at 7 and 8 p.m. 9900 Stoneybrook Dr, Kensington, MD 20895
- 2016 Parade of Lighted Boats: Enjoy DC Soutwestern waterfront with a hot cocoa, live music, and a parade of lighted boats on December 3rd from 5-8 pm. From the Docks of Alexandria to Southwest Waterfront in DC – 600 Water Street SW, Washington, DC 20024.
- Swedish Christmas Bazaar: Visit the Swedish marketplace, snack in the Swedish café, try to win prizes and stick around for the main event: the St. Lucia procession with traditional caroling on Saturday, December 3rd, 11 am-5 pm.House of Sweden, 2900 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20007.
- Holiday Train Show in Union Station: A lovely train display open daily.
- Bethesda Winter Wonderland: On December 3rd 1-4 pm Enjoy live ice sculpting, performances and a visit from Santa!
- Winter’s Eve at Glen Echo: On December 10th from 4-7 pm. Enjoy free activities including holiday crafts, sing-alongs, story-telling, open studios, and a hot chocolate bar.
I hope you and your family get to enjoy some of these fun activities for FREE this Christmas Season!