Everyone has an escape, mine is my parent’s home. Although, we live in different states, I go home as often as possible. Taking the four hour ride is a pleasure because I know on the other end of the ride is my momma’s bed. I’m so grateful for a family home that I can return to when I need a place of comfort, of familiarity and of well…love.
Don’t you love chores? NOT! There are those daily chores that are so mundane that they can easily give us a case of the grumps. I have found if I find gratitude in doing them I’m a bit more thankful doing the daily things. When you’re doing chores try saying little prayers of gratitude that relate to that chore. For example, as I was washing the dishes last night with every scrub I gave thanks. It went something like this:
- Scraping food off the plates- Thank you Lord for providing us with food for our bodies.
- Filling the sink with water- Lord, I am grateful for the clean water you provide us with not only to drink but to wash our dishes so that we can eat off of clean plates.
- Scrubbing the dishes-Thank you Father for giving me the strength and use of my hands to be able wash these dishes.
- Drying the dishes and putting them away- I am so blessed to have a warm home where I can put my belongings away.
- Cleaning off the dining room table- Lord, thank you for allowing my daughter and I to share another dinner together around the table. Thank you for the laughter and conversation, may we always stay this close.
If we try hard enough we can always find the gratitude and blessings in our day to day routines no matter how mundane they may. The mundane reminds us of how event the simple things are blessings!
Thanksgiving is only a day away and I’m sure many of us are counting our blessings especially with all the turmoil erupting in the world. I think gratefulness and appreciation of our blessings should be something we think about everyday and encourage our children to do the same. Recently I did a post for Graham Blanchard about a few ways we keep grateful. One of the fun ways we keep track of our blessings is through our Blessings Box! I simply purchased a box from Michaels and we took some time to decorate it. We record our blessings on a slip of paper and put it into our box, then we read them at the end of the month. This is a fun and meaningful activity that you can do throughout the year and not just in the month of November!