I was so excited when the Community Outreach Manager at HSN contacted me about sharing this post on Makeup Tips with all of you! I’ve mentioned before that since I work at home I can be lax about the way I dress and well wearing makeup is non-existent. However, when I do take the time to put on lip gloss or add a little color to my face I definitely perk up! So one of my goals this year is to spend more time perking up! This post gave me the starter tips I needed for a jump start! Lara Ramos shares some great practical advice on making your beauty products last longer that will save you money that I know you will find useful!
I am constantly talking to my girlfriends about what an investment beauty products are. If you’re a product junkie like me, your beauty budget can closely rival what you spend on new clothes. So whether it’s my wardrobe or makeup supply, I really want to make sure that I protect my investment.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to make my makeup last:
1. Build a Better Makeup Bag
At times, I look through my stash and find no fewer than a dozen variations of the exact same lip shade. None of these products get used consistently and they mostly end up expiring before I can even scratch the surface. I’ve learned that by better editing my purchase decisions, I can make sure that I have a variety of products that I use more frequently – and I’m more likely to use them to the very last drop.
Not only are makeup brushes expensive, but they also touch all of your makeup. By keeping them clean, not only are you extending their life, but also the life of your products. Keeping powders and blushes free and clear of oils and bacteria that tend to break them down will help them live a longer life.
3. Keep it Pretty
You will never find my hard earned makeup knocking around in a vanity drawer or at the bottom of my purse. Oh, the horror! I’m careful to keep my beauty treasures tucked inside of pouches when I’m on the go or on a tray sitting on my vanity at home. This way, there’s far less chance that they will crack or explode, wasting precious product.
I recently discovered these little spatulas that you can use to actually scrape the bottom of your makeup bottles to get to the very end of them. I’ve also been known to use them after cutting open tubes of concealer and lip gloss to collect one final application. Brilliant!
5. Portion Control
It may go without saying, but using only what you need can really make your makeup last. I found that I was always left with unneeded foundation or extra moisturizer after applying, so I downsized my dose and I’m wasting less. Making other small changes like not spraying my fragrance into the air and walking through it has also helped!
These tricks have definitely helped me to stretch my beauty dollar, but I’m dying to know: how do you make your makeup last?
Here are a couple of my tips on making my dollars stretch:
- Scour the drugstore for beauty products. Often times you’ll find products at a discounted rate and if you have a drugstore savings card you can get additional discounts every time you use your card.For example, I just got $5.00 off of my next CVS purchase which I can put towards a beauty product!
- Keep the lids tightly on your makeup, especially nailpolish so it won’t dry out.
- Try samples before buying the real thing. The one thing that bugs me most is when I shell out big bucks on a product and it isn’t what I expected. If you are buying a pricey item try to get a sample first to make sure you are satisfied before throwing down the cash.
- Check those expiration dates. Knowing when you’re makeup expires is an incentive for you to use it and not waste money on a product you use twice before it expires.