Memorial Day weekend doesn’t have to be spent on the road if you live in DC metro area. There are some fun activities going on in your own backyard. Have a staycation and spend more time with the kids and less time on the road. Here are 10 Ideas to have fun with the kids this holiday weekend.
- Jazz in the Garden at the National Art Gallery: Enjoy live music from 5-8:30 pm. Spread a blanket, get some yummy food from the cafe and hang out with the kiddos for FREE. This is one of my favorite things to do in the summer!
- PBS National Memorial Day Concert: This weekend is meant to honor our men and women who sacrifice their lives. This FREE concert on the west lawn at the US Capitol on Sunday, from 8-9:30 PM.
- Free Outdoor Movies: Check out the complete lineup for 2017 for DC/MD/VA and lay out under the stars.
- Wings of Fancy Live Butterfly & Caterpillar Exhibit:We’ve visited this exhibit several times and it’s magical! Visit Brookeside Gardens at 1500 Glenallen in Avenue in Wheaton MD from 10-4 pm. $8 ages 13+; $5 ages 3-12; Free ages 0-2.
- Hometown Holidays in Rockville: Enjoy this 3 Day FREE Festival with 7 stages, entertainers, kid’s rides, teen activities, VisArts Fine Arts, and a parade in Rockville Town Center.
- Strawberry Picking at Butlers Orchard: My absolute favorite place to pick strawberries is open from 10-6 pm. Strawberries are $2.79 a pound. They are delicious!
- Viva Vienna Festival: FREE Festival with food, games, entertainment, amusement rides and vendors. Saturday-Sunday from 10am-10 pm and Sunday from 10 am-6pm.
- Delaplane Stawberry Festival: A fun 2 days of everything strawberries, games, music, and vendors on Saturday and Sunday from 10 am-5 pm. Advance tickets are $20 per car. This would be a great activity to split with friends.
- National Memorial Day Parade in DC: The annual parade starts at 2 pm. Get there early so you can get a good spot and visit the many free museums after that are open.
- Hangout at Georgetown Harbor: Get a tasty cupcake at Georgetown Cupcakes, if you’re a cat lover visit Crumbs & Whiskers where you can grab a coffee and even adopt a kitten, or just walk along the harbor!
Enjoy! Go out and make some memories!
Friday is here! If you’re in the DC metro area it’s a pretty soggy day, but that doesn’t mean you and the kids have to be stuck in the house all weekend. Check out some of these fun activities going on in the metro DC area some of which are free! Also, check out CertifiKID for some great discounts. I have faith the sun will peek out so I listed some outdoor activities as well as indoor fun!
- The Flower Mart at the National Cathedral– Friday 10-6 & Saturday 10-5. Check out the lovely flowers and for kids there is a carousel, puppet shows, games, rides, food and a used book tent. Admission is FREE, there are costs for some activities.
- Go to the Drive In! For 10 bucks a car you can watch Star Wars the Force Awakens at Union Market. Lot opens 6:00, Lot closes promptly at 7:50, Film begins 8:15 , Film ends at 10:30. Check the website at 1 pm for rain cancellation.
- Around the World Embassy Tour– On Saturday from 10-4 pm, immerse the kids in culture with over 40 embassies! This FREE event showcases art, music, traditional dress, and lots of good food from around world! Admission is free, but bring ID some embassies might conduct security checks.
- Go Explore a Castle! Saturday from 11-2 The Heurich House Museum will is FREE! Wander through the castle and complete complete a photo scavenger hunt to win prizes.Register here.
- African-American Children’s Book Fair– Saturday 10-4 pm at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum in Baltimore. This is the perfect rainy day activity. Enjoy author readings, illustration workshops, live performances, and art activities. It’s FREE, but register for the event here.
- $12 for KID Museum General Admission TWO-PACK – Bethesda- This is a great deal for the little ones from CertifiKID
- $10 for Port Discovery Children’s Museum Admission – Baltimore – This is another offer from CertifiKID
- Raptor Festival-If your kids are into birds, owls, hawks then go to the Meadowside Nature Center, Saturday from 12-4 pm for a fun and informative festival. It’s FREE!
- Literary Hill BookFest- FREE event Saturday 11-3 PM on Capitol Hill.
- Kid’s Theater Festival– This is cool! Watch plays performed and written by kids for FREE on Saturday, 11-2 PM at
Don’t let the rain stop you! Go out and make some memories and have a great weekend!
Stuck in the house on a cold day, need a creative stocking stuffer, or are you tired of broken little crayons? Make Crayon Molds!
Hey Moms! Looking for fun ways to foster an attitude of gratitude with your kids? Download my 5 Fun Ways to Count Your Blessings as a Family! Get the whole family to reflect on their blessings and express their gratitude this November!
I always feel at home near the water or on the water. My preference is the ocean, but if one isn’t near, I’ll take a lake. Especially, if it is a gorgeous day and I’m with my favorite girl! If you’re looking for an inexpensive outdoor activity, and live in Maryland, visit Lake Needwood.
It’s a beautiful serene 75 acre lake where you can rent kayaks, row boats, canoes, pedal boats, or even take a tour on a Pontoon boat. We decided on the pedal boat. They provide everyone with a life jacket and at least 4 people can fit in the boat. We paid $9.50 for a half an hour and was on the lake for about an hour and a half. We paid under $20 bucks which was a great price for all the fun we had!
The first time I went to Lake Needwood I was pregnant which was 10 years ago! Now, my girl is 10 and can help pedal the boat! What better way to celebrate a glorious Sunday then hop into a pedal boat on a lake? It was a ton of fun and I totally recommend going with your kids. It was a sweet bonding experience just being out on the glistening lake, talking, laughing and pedaling.
For a complete list of prices and park hours, Visit: http://www.montgomeryparks.org/parks-and-trails/lake-needwood-boats/
15700 Needwood Lake Circle
Rockville, MD 20855
My little one isn’t so little anymore! She is 10! I’ve had the pleasure of being in the company of this amazing, incredible and beautiful human being for a decade. Wow a decade flew by! It makes me really cognizant of how quickly she’s growing. Right now she still enjoys being around me and is somewhat of an open book so I’m taking advantage of it before those teen years roll around.
One fun way to get to know your kid is by playing the game, “Would You Rather?” I started playing this in the car on the way home from school. Basically, I ask her questions like, “Would you rather eat salmon or chicken?” or “ Would you rather visit California or NY?” or you can get silly and ask questions like,” Would you rather eat a worm or an ant?” It is just a fun way to keep the lines of communication open and find out some pretty interesting things about how their minds work. She also asks me questions as well and finds out stuff about her momma too!
Visit VisArts in Rockville, MD!
My daughter is very creative so I’m always on the lookout for a class or an activity that encourages and inspires her along with being fun! A couple of weekends ago, I found an African Mask making class on a Saturday morning for $20.00. I quickly registered her and I’m so glad I did! The class was at VisArts in Rockville, MD. I was totally impressed with the various classes, teacher, and spirit of the center. It was a chilly day, but I found a french bakery and settled down with a cup of coffee and a delicious croissant and worked on my play.
If your child loves at like mine does and you live in the Maryland area this may be a great fit for them. They have regular classes and camps. I plan on enrolling Anya in either a class or camp in the summer and can’t wait to see what she creates! If you want to try your hand at something new there are classes for adults as well!
Before we got slammed by Jonas, Anya and I decided to have some fun in our own backyard. It was a Saturday and I was itching to go somewhere and contemplated a road trip, but then I thought, wait we live right next to DC! Let’s go hangout and have a sort of staycation! It was inexpensive, fun and memorable. Here is a peek at a great day I had with my favorite person on earth!