I was listening to Beth Moore talk about how we often try to give CPR to the things that should be dead in our lives. This really struck a cord with me. One, because I’m guilty of doing it on occasion and it is fascinating to me how human beings have this desire to hold on even when there is nothing left to hold onto. When I say dead I’m obviously not referring to our loved ones who passed away, but to those things in our past that no longer fit who we are in Christ. We hold onto bad habits, unfortunate experiences and particularly relationships in our life that have run their course and are over. Instead of letting it rest in peace, we do our best to dig it back up! Only to become embittered, angry, saddened all over again. Or have you changed, but people have a tendency to not let your past die? That’s annoying right? So how can we stop breathing life into the dead? Here are 5 scriptures on how to let the dead die.
- Romans 12: 2 “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Change begins when we recognize that our thought process has to be changed, transformed and renewed. For example, if you had a substance abuse issue don’t dwell on all of the awful things you did under the influence. Make your amends, but think about how far God has brought you! How the Lord has transformed you. The world (and even those close to us) have a tendency to throw our wrongdoings back in our face, but we have to renew our mind daily through prayer, scriptures, and our thoughts so that we can stay on our purpose in the present.
- Luke 9:62 “But Jesus said to him, “No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” Think about if you were plowing a field and continually look behind you? “Your field wouldn’t be plowed very well if you kept turning around right ? Matter of fact you may even crash! When you keep looking behind you it is impossible to focus on what is in front of you! When you accepted Christ you became a new creation made to do works for the kingdom of Christ, how can you do that if you are focused on a past that doesn’t fit who you are in Him? Keep your eyes ahead.
- Isaiah 43:18-19 “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” Stop dwelling in the dead. What does that mean? Don’t live in what no longer lives, don’t surround yourself with the memories, don’t continually talk about what was but focus on what God is doing in your life now, at this minute. If the Lord led you out of the desert spring up to the hope that comes from God leading you out of the desert!
- James 3:6 “The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.” The quickest way to give life to the dead, is talk about it over and over and over again. I’m not saying to suppress your feeling, but once you’ve worked through an issue or a relationship is over stop digging it up. Don’t give power to it by speaking about it to the point that you bring it back into your life. Now, I absolutely think that you can bring healing to someone else’s life by telling your story, but that’s not what I’m referring to here. I’m speaking about the inability to let something go. Simply, let it rest away from you where it belongs.
- James 4:7 “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” Satan loves when you’re tormented by our past and he hopes that we stay in it so he can keep us trapped from all that God has in store for us. He looks for ways to keep bringing the dead back around. He is a cunning liar whose goal is to take you as far away from God as he can. When Satan is trying to raise what is dead in your life, sister you need to flee! Run as fast as you can to God. Get down on your knees in prayer. Remember he isn’t a match for God, but he knows your weaknesses and preys on them. When he preys on you that’s when you start praying on him!
You are a living creation made in the likeness of God who knew every little thing that would happen to you, but loved you with an awesome love anyway! Love yourself enough to live with the living and not the dead!