Langston Hughes: “Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly”
Are you tired of the monotony of your 9-5? Grateful yet know there is a passion of yours that you should be pursuing? Why are you waiting? This is the question I’ve been asking myself for like forever! This year I’m more determined and focused on pursuing my creative endeavors than ever. Life is short and we’re told in the bible to make the most of every opportunity and I’m asking myself more frequently if I’m taking advantage of the gifts that God has given me or am I pushing them back, making excuses and waiting for another day to take action.
If you’re in the same boat I want to share “10 Ways on How Pursue What It Is You Desire to Manifest in Your Life.”
1. Be Clear on What it is You Want To Do: First, you have to be able to define what it is you want to pursue. Focus in on what inspires, motivates and makes you feel alive! What is it when you’re doing it that you can do it all day long and it doesn’t feel like work, but it feels like a purpose. Once you can zone in on this you’re ready to go full force ahead!
2. Create a Plan: Think about the actions and steps you need to take to manifest the outcome you desire. A plan is crucial so that you’re not all over the place. Take out that notebook and start strategically thinking about the first action you have to take and go from there. Under each action write the steps you need to take for that action.
3. Get Immersed in the Field You’re Pursuing: In other words dive head first into the water! The best way to become successful at what you want to do is know what you’re doing. Do your due diligence! Research, go to meet-ups, attend webinars, read everything you can get your hands on, reach out to people who are doing what you want to do and ask them for advice, and get connected. The more knowledgeable you are the more equipped you’ll be in making your dream a reality.
4. Get an Accountability Partner: I firmly believe if you have someone to hold your feet to the fire you’re more likely to follow through. An accountability partner should be someone you can trust, who’s honest with you and will give you a kick when you need it and an encouraging word when you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. Schedule a time every week to either meet up for coffee or have a phone call to give an update on your progress and to discuss action items.
5. Don’t Be Afraid to Invest in Yourself: Believing in yourself means investing in yourself. I know money can be tight and I’m not saying to blow your life savings, but think long and hard about what you need to invest in that will make it possible for you to achieve your goals. Don’t feel guilty spending the money for business cards when you know it will help give you exposure.
6. Ask People to Invest You: You have to believe in yourself enough to ask others to believe in you! Be confident in what it is you do even if you have to fake it! Don’t be afraid to ask, all someone can say is no and then you move on. Eventually someone will say yes, but if you never ask you’ll never know and you can’t get to that yes.
7.Don’t Give Up: Nothing is acquired without some good old elbow grease. The most important thing you can do on this journey is to keep pushing forward and not give up. The late Miles Munroe once said, “The wealthiest places in the world are not gold mines, oil fields, diamond mines or banks. The wealthiest place is the cemetery. There lies companies that were never started, masterpieces that were never painted… In the cemetery there is buried the greatest treasure of untapped potential. There is a treasure within you that must come out. Don’t go to the grave with your treasure still within YOU.” If you give up you deprive others of your gifts and you don’t have the right to let that happen.
8. Imagine Your Vision as if it was Your Reality: Stay motivated to continue to pursue your dream by imagining how your life would look if you were living out your passion. I’m not trying to be all new age here, but envision how life would be different if you could live the vision you have for yourself. Start a vision board, right in a journal, whatever it is that keeps your vision alive, do it!
9. Be Kind to Yourself: Simply said don’t be too hard on yourself. Don’t get caught up in the stinking thinking. Give yourself grace, patience and encouragement.
10. Celebrate the Small Victories- Those little victories should be acknowledged and no matter how small celebrate the small victories! Small victories lead to medium victories than bigger ones! Appreciate whatever blessings come your way.
Lastly, and this goes without saying always pray for guidance and stay in God’s will for your life!